Flossing doesn’t just keep your teeth and gums clean. It can actually improve your overall health by boosting your immune system! Here’s Queensboro Plaza Dental Care’s tips on how to floss effectively.
What Does Flossing Do For Teeth?
Your toothbrush cannot possibly reach all of the tight spaces and crevices in your mouth. This means that bacteria and plaque can flourish in those spots. Dental floss was designed to squeeze through tight spaces between the teeth and underneath the gum line to dislodge plaque, bacteria, and food particles and keep your teeth safe and healthy from decay.
What Happens if I Don’t Floss?
When left untouched, these bacteria feed on sugar and carbohydrates from the surface of your teeth. They release enamel-killing acid when they’re satisfied. This acid causes inflammation in the gums and wears down your teeth. Your immune system suffers because the anti-infection defenses in your body have been sent to your gums and mouth instead of elsewhere. The result? Gum disease, a completely preventable and progessive ailment which affects the vast majority of adults in the U.S., especially those over 65.
How to Floss Properly
Follow these steps to properly floss your teeth and start flossing like a pro:
- Use 18-24 inches of floss from the container.
- You should wrap most of the floss around one of your middle or pointer fingers and the rest of it around the same finger on your opposite hand.
- Hold the floss taut and stretch out about one inch of floss.
- Insert it between your teeth and use a gentle rocking motion to move it back and forth.
- As the floss moves toward your gumline, create a “c” shape with the floss.
- Scrape either side of each tooth by moving it away from the gums.
- Keep going until you’ve flossed between each tooth.
Regular Professional Dental Cleanings
Another great way to make sure your teeth are healthy and disease free is to visit Queensboro Plaza Dental Care twice a year for routine cleanings and examinations. Your dentist will be able to determine if you have any issues and can create a custom treatment plan, including cosmetic and restorative services.
Affordable Dental Care in Long Island City, NY
Just spending a few minutes a day to floss your teeth can have a major positive impact on your oral — and overall — health. Due for a dental exam or interested in one of our special services? Do your health a favor and contact Queensboro Plaza Dental Care. You can call our office directly or schedule an appointment by clicking the contact link below. We look forward to your visit!